Thursday, January 14, 2010

Dog Obediance

Monday was our first night of dog obediance class and before class had even begun we had a problem. A lady I work with is taking the same class and we were talking while our dogs were checking each other out when suddenly Charlie let out a yelp and tried to get away. Turns out Anna's dog bit Charlie on the ear. It was bleeding and we really aren't sure what & why it happened. Adrian seems to think that Charlie jumped up on Birdie (her dog) but I thought they were just smelling each other. Any how we kind of cleaned it up and the trainer said that dogs get bit all the time on their ears - so it seemed like maybe it wasn't that big of a deal. Tuesday afternoon we noticed that the wound was starting to puss up a little so I made a vet appointment. Wednesday afternoon Charlie and I went to the vet where they ended up shaving the bottom half of his ear to see the wound more clearly. It is about a half inch cut (which is worse than I thought it was) with a hole on the underside. The gave me the option of putting in a couple of stitches or staples ($350-$400) so there would be no scarring or just waiting to see if it closes up on its' own and doesn't abscess. As you can probably guess I chose the cheaper option knowing Gary would shoot me on the spot if I had spent that much to fix a cut on a dog's ear.
We came home with antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, a cleanser, and an e-collar (one of those cones around his neck) in hopes of keeping the wound clean.
I swear when it rains it certainly seems to pour!

Ben that is a great idea for Anthony. I think he is going to give it a shot. He was pretty excited after the lesson this week because the teacher got him started on Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. Let's put it this way - I haven't had to ask him to practice this week. His enthusiasm for the guitar has been renewed!

It was a beautiful day here in Boise today. 50 degrees, blue sky and sunshine and I was loving it. It is hard to think we still technically have 2 more months of winter when it is that nice outside. Hopefully spring will come early this year.

No comments: