Friday, May 1, 2009

UPromise College Savings


Yesterday we met with a financial advisor who told us about UPromise.com. At this website you register your credit & debit cards and each time you use them at participating businesses you earn money. He said it isn't very much at one time - like a nickel here or a dime there - but it is still free money to earn. I just registered my cards on this website and it only took a few minutes. You assign beneficiaries, which would be your kids, however grandparents you can put the grandkids down. I didn't check out the site completely but I will be spending more time on it this weekend. I just thought I would pass on the information on to the rest of you. The advisor said that he does it and has roughly $1100 in an account for future kids he will have. Currently he is not married but told us that is the first thing we needed to do when we got home. After going through the college stuff we have so far with Caitlin every little bit helps. It does not cost $600 a semester anymore. $1100 would almost cover a meal plan for a semester that a lot of colleges require of their students living on campus. Several colleges Caitlin looked at also required all freshman to live on campus. I don't know if that is a new trend or not but it adds up quickly.

Check out the site and see what you think. Better to start now than when they are 18 like Caitlin.

No comments: