I don't know if any of you heard about the lock down that took place last week at the middle school just down the road because a parent volunter thought she saw a student in the hallway with an axe. The middle school was put on lock down for 2 hours and police from just about every surrounding town came and stood guard on the school grounds with guns drawn and roads around the school were shut down. 9 other surrounding schools were put on "soft" lock down due to the proximity of the middle school. This included the boys' high school. It all turned out ok because what was thought to be an axe was actually a collapsable military shovel that a teacher had asked a 8th grade student go out to his/her car to get and bring back into class. I am only telling you this story because it seems strange to us that the high school is allowing a re-enactment of a battle with "weapons" when a collaspable shovel caused so much commotion. Anthony has had fun making his armor with a friend several days after school. His shield is 3 ft in diameter and has a handle on the back side. The shield, face mask, body armor are made of cardboard and spray painted. The sword & spear are made of foam, cardboard, duct tape and some pvc pipe. He isn't finished with them yet and certainly won't model them for me so I just took a few pictures.
Busy taping the spear but the duct tape wasn't cooperating very well!
Adrian's project was for shop class. He had to build something. Now most kids would pick a bird house or some type of easy project, but Adrian chose to build a night stand. He chose this because ( and I quote him) "I have only beek asking for one for 3 or 4 years now and you guys won't buy me one!" It turned out to be a great project. He took all the measurements from the nightstand in Anthony's room, shopped with Gary last Friday for the materials, and spent a good part of Saturday and Sunday constructing. He doesn't have to take it in to school, just show pictures. Now I am sure some of you will notice that he was not wearing safety gear while using the table saw at first, but he did end up putting it on. I am guessing those pictures might be on the camera and if not he just might get dinged a few points! Unfortunately he didn't take a picture of the completely finished project. I will take one and add it later.
Dad, the ear muffs come in handy for more than just shooting!
Getting ready to stain.
The top is red to match the rest of his bedroom furniture.
Gary used his Sear's giftcards and birthday money to buy the table saw. He has wanted one for awhile but it was just one of those thing he kept putting off. He said made the project so much easier for cutting straight line. I am thinking we need some end tables here in the living room next!
The one other thing I have to add about the weekend is that Saturday Gary & I were going to go to Sear's to look at the table saw. Anthony needed duct tape for his project and Adrian wanted to get some too. We also needed to stop at the grocery store at some point over the weekend. I gave them the grocery list, my debit card, and they went to Wal-Mart. It was so great to come home and see they had bought everything on the list and had put it all away - in the right places too! There are no more excuses now!! I had encouraged them to buy food they would want for dinner since they never seem to like what I cook, but the only extra things they came home with was a box of Toaster Strudel and a bag of Cheetos otherwise they stuck to the list. The big story of the trip was that Anthony wasn't allowed to buy a can of spray paint because he wasn't eighteen. He is at the age where it is frustrating to not be able to purchase things like that. A few months ago he wasn't allowed to buy an X box game because he wasn't 17.
Well that is about all for now. Not much else exciting has been happening. Hope everyone has a great week! Brother's you are falling behind!!








No comments:
Post a Comment