No, it really is a fun game and it has to be because we have played it almost nonstop for two days now. It is somewhat like Monoply because you are staking claims by buying/building roads and putting up either a settlement or a city. You can also buy development cards that can help you in different ways.

Below is a picture of how the board looks. It is the best one I could find on the internet that was like the one we played. The small rectangle sticks are the roads, the larger looking house is a city, and the small one is a settlement. The circle pieces correspond with the dice that are rolled. So for instance if you are blue you have built a settlement on timber, sheep, and brick (these are cards you earn in order to build what you need). If a 10 is rolled you would get one sheep card. It takes a combination of cards to build or buy what you need. The larger homes(city) would earn you two cards at a time. However the lg. red house is sitting on a brick spot with a four and the robber has been placed there. If a four is rolled you would not earn any cards. Whenever a seven is rolled the player who rolled it gets to move the robber to another area and take one card from the person who has build on the kind of card you desire. The object is to get 10 points. Cities (large house) are worth two pts. and the small house is worth one. The development cards you can buy may also give you a point. You can earn pts. by having the longest road and the largest army. The circles also have dots underneath the number which tells you the probability of which that number will be rolled. In one game we played I had built on a 2, 11, and 12. When it is your turn that is the time to build, barter, or buy a development card.They didn't get rolled very often so I would go many turns without being able to draw cards so I wasn't able to build much. One game I had a total of 3 pts.
In the beginning of the game you are able to place two settlements - starting everyone with 2 pts. and giving them the opportunity to strategize where they are going to build . You earn cards each time a player rolls the dice. On your turn after you roll and collect any cards you may get that is when you can buy/build, barter, or purchase a development card.
These are examples of the cards. So you would need a brick and timber in order to place a road. It takes a brick, timber, sheep, and wheat to build a settlement and a city requires 3 ore and 2 wheat. So you are hoping that the number spot you are on gets rolled trying to collect these cards hoping that no one moves the robber to an area you are in because they then get to pick one of your cards. If a seven is rolled and you have 8 or more cards you have to return atleast half of them to the piles to draw from. On your turn you can also barter with another player for cards you want if they are willing to exchange.
I am sure I lost most of you clear back at the beginning of this post since I tend to ramble, but I really enjoyed playing this game and wanted to share it with you. Scrabble and Diner Dash are more my speed so I was thinking by sharing all of this with you it might be a new game you would like to own. It is definitely a game of strategy and odds and one I am planning on getting soon. The version we played was at the most a 4 player game. I can't imagine it would work well with just two players so if it is something you are interested in I hope you have friends or family to play with.

3 comments:
Hey Melanie, I almost bought that game with a gift card after Christmas, but I didn't because I wanted a 2 player game for Faith and I and wasn't sure how that one would be. Can you play with just two people? It looks fun, though I may have to read the instructions if I get it, as your description of them missed important points like who goes first, when are points tallied to determine who wins, how to barter, things like that you know. Let me know if it can be a two player game, please. Thanks.
Disregard my previous comment, I just decided to read the end of your post, where it says you don't think it would be good for two players.
Don't worry, we don't have any friends we do things with up here either really. The check fraud thing is this: Granma sent me a check for X-mas. Pretty nice huh? Only it was made out to Matt. So I called Matt to see if he had my check, no such luck. So I call mom to tell her, and she says just cross out Matt's name and put mine, then initial with Granma's initials. So I did. Then I deposited it. And like 3 days later it still hadn't gone through. Then some guy named Frank Abignail from the FBI Check Fraud division called me and asked about the check. I freaked out and called Mom and told her to call Granma and tell her what I did so I wouldn't get busted for check fraud, cause it's a felony and I could lose my job for getting a felony. I don't know if that Frank Abignail guy called Granma or not, I just told him that's how the check was when I got it. We'll see what happens. On another note, if you haven't seen the movie Catch Me If You Can, you should check it out, it's awesome.
Post a Comment