Saturday, November 19, 2011

Apple Butter


I was telling Dad tonight about a recipe I have for apple butter made in a crock pot.  It isn't quite as good as Grandma Rhodes, but it is still pretty good. I thought I would share the recipe if any of you are interested in making it.

Chunky Sweet Spiced Apple Butter

4 c. peeled & chopped Granny Smith Apples
3/4 c dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp butter, divided
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine apples, sugar, vinegar, 2 Tbsp butter, cihnnamon, salt, and cloves in crock-pot.  Cover, cook on low 8 hours.  Stir in remaining 2 tbsp butter & vanilla.  Cool completely. 

I usually blend mine at this point because I would rather have it smooth like Grandma's used to be.  If you make let me know how you like it.  Anthony & I really enjoy it.  Makes the house smell really good too!

No comments: