Thursday, April 12, 2012

2 Fire Drills & 1 Acutal Fire!!

Yesterday was the latest I have ever left for work.  It was 6:13 when I was backing out of the driveway.  It is a good 20 minute drive going the speed limit.  I was stressing about getting "clocked in" on time as we have a 5 minute window before we have a "record" for being late.  Needless to say I did some speeding hoping for no cops.  As I am pulling into the parking lot there is a group of people standing just outside of the building and many people sitting in their cars. Not sure what was going on I got out to go sit with a co worker and that is when I could hear the fire alarm going off.  Come to find out that it had been going off since 5:45.  There was no fire so the fire department didn't come, our security guy couldn't figure out how to off the alarm, more and more people were rolling into work so we were all just hanging around.  Finally at 7:15 a guy from the alarm company came, shut off the alarm, and let us in the building.  I shouldn't have worried about being late!
As the day went on we had an email that came out stating they would be testing the fire alarm and it would be going off about 5 or 6 more times briefly, but not to worry and no need to leave the building.  It makes you jump because you never know when to expect it.

This morning about 10 the fire alarm starts going off again.  You can hear everyone asking if it was a drill, did you get an email, etc.  Maybe 10 seconds later I could hear the manger of Revenue Cycle saying it was not a drill and everyone needs to leave the building - you could kind of hear the panic/stress in her voice.  We no sooner got outside than here come the fire engines.....4 of them!!  2 chief cars and a police officer.  Very quick response time.  Talk about life getting exciting.  You have about 500 people standing outside in the parking lot and firemen suiting up w/ oxygen tanks.  Turns out there really was a fire.  I never did hear for sure where it was directly located or the cause.  One story I heard was that it was in a garbage can in the lactation room and it was thought that someone had thrown their cigarette butt in there.  (There have been emails going out about the smokers going across the street to smoke and leaving their butts on the ground.  It is to happen no more - per the director).  The other story I heard was that it was in a garbage can - not sure from what - but it was in a supply room.  Both rooms are the same area.  We were allowed back in the building at 10:40.  It was hazy and smelled slightly but not to bad until you went into the bathrooms.  Then about an hour later the smell got really bad.  I think so many doors had been propped open that it was starting to circulate with the fans kicking on.  So between the smoke smell, haze, and the chemical smell it was strong.  People were hacking. People were going home.  It was really bad at the one end of the building closest to location of the fire.  I did end up having to use my inhaler, ate lunch outside, and went for a walk then I was fine for the rest of the day....well by that time there was only about 2 1/2 hrs left. 

I got back from a meeting at 2:15 and I have an email from Gary that he had just gotten back from a one hour fire drill himself.  What are the odds???  He said the alarms were just going off and so they evacuated everyone.  Never really did hear anything else.   Just crazy!!

Well, we still don't have a hole in the ground for our house.  I drove by today and was disappointed.  At this point it will be Monday.  We went yesterday and picked out faucets, toilets, & sinks.  Today we looked at appliances and Saturday we are picking out our granite.  It is very overwhelming and probably not the best thing to be doing after a long day of work.  Way to many choices.

Adrian got his glasses.  Sadly, there is no way he will let me take a picture of him with them on.  He looks good.  It was so funny the day we picked them up because he just looked around in ShopKo and kept saying "Whoa"  Whoa.  You could just see the amazment on his face as if he was seeing things for the very first time.  His sight must have been bad if he can notice that big of a difference. 

Hope everyone has had a good week.  I am going to go curl up on the couch and watch Big Bang Theory!

1 comment:

Curtis Family said...

That's a great story! It was good to chat last night, and thanks again for the text this morning!